Asus A8V Deluxe, Xfree display problems with BIOS 1011
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2005-05-04 15:41:12 UTC
Hi guys,

I've an ASUS A8V Deluxe with an ASUS A9250T/D video card.
I've just updated my BIOS from 1009 to 1011.

After this update, the machine boot fine and the display works in
cosole mode but while swtiching to X when gdm starts, I get a black
screen with only the cursor image in white.

The machine is still alive and I can access it via ssh. But I cannot
even swith to a console and try a "blind reboot" with <Alt><Ctrl><Fn>
and then log in. I cannot kill the X server with <Alt><Ctrl><Backspace>.

If I boot the machine using Ubuntu live CD, it works.
If then I reboot (not power off the box) the system, then my normal
Debian system works.

I've reverted to BIOS revison 1009 and this fix the problem.

I've asked Asus support, the reply (In French) is that "they have no
UNIX/linux support for the moment, sorry for the inconvenient".

Do you havea any idea of what can be the cause of this problem ?

I use the free Xfree86 driver "radeon".
The display is an IBM P200, 20" tested at various resolutions.

Jean-Luc
Sythos
2005-05-04 15:46:27 UTC
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I use the free Xfree86 driver "radeon".
The display is an IBM P200, 20" tested at various resolutions.
If you have specified the PCI address of radeon card in XF86Config-4 try
to comment it out (#), its' probably the address is changed when you
upgrade BIOS (ESCD & NVRAM of some PnP BIOS do some funny joke during
upgrade)

Regards
--
Sythos - http://www.sythos.net
() ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against html/rtf/vCard in mail
/\ - against M$ attachments
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2005-05-04 16:35:23 UTC
Post by Sythos
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I use the free Xfree86 driver "radeon".
The display is an IBM P200, 20" tested at various resolutions.
If you have specified the PCI address of radeon card in XF86Config-4 try
to comment it out (#), its' probably the address is changed when you
upgrade BIOS (ESCD & NVRAM of some PnP BIOS do some funny joke during
upgrade)
No, I've not it.
I tried to set/unset PnPOs in the BIOS and to play with the AGP
parameters without any success so far.
Everything looks fine in teh syslog and the XFreee86.0.log
Post by Sythos
Regards
--
Sythos - http://www.sythos.net
Regards

Jean-Luc
Daniel Rauhaus
2005-05-04 17:48:50 UTC
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I've an ASUS A8V Deluxe with an ASUS A9250T/D video card.
I've just updated my BIOS from 1009 to 1011.
After this update, the machine boot fine and the display works in =20
cosole mode but while swtiching to X when gdm starts, I get a black =20
screen with only the cursor image in white.
The machine is still alive and I can access it via ssh. But I cannot =20
even swith to a console and try a "blind reboot" with <Alt><Ctrl><Fn> =20
and then log in. I cannot kill the X server with <Alt><Ctrl><Backspace>.
Good to know I'm not the only one having problems with the 1011 BIOS.
I'm using the proprietary NVIDIA driver on 32-bit Ubuntu Hoary and I've
experienced the same problems (well, almost the same, no cursor image here :-)
I fixed it first by using kernel 2.6.11, but I got a lot of crashes
after that. I've reverted to 2.6.10 now and it seems to work.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
If I boot the machine using Ubuntu live CD, it works.
If then I reboot (not power off the box) the system, then my normal =20
Debian system works.
I've reverted to BIOS revison 1009 and this fix the problem.
I would be glad if they told us what they have "fixed" in the upgrade
apart from the two meagre lines in the changelog.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I've asked Asus support, the reply (In French) is that "they have no =20
UNIX/linux support for the moment, sorry for the inconvenient".
Do you havea any idea of what can be the cause of this problem ?
Unfortunately not - apart from ASUS's attitude :-(

Regards,

Daniel

P.S. I hope this message gets through, I'm trying the gmane.org gateway.
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2005-05-04 19:27:54 UTC
[ ... ]
Post by Daniel Rauhaus
Good to know I'm not the only one having problems with the 1011 BIOS.
I'm using the proprietary NVIDIA driver on 32-bit Ubuntu Hoary and I've
experienced the same problems (well, almost the same, no cursor image here :-)
I fixed it first by using kernel 2.6.11, but I got a lot of crashes
after that. I've reverted to 2.6.10 now and it seems to work.
I'm running 2.6.11 ...

[ ... ]
Post by Daniel Rauhaus
I would be glad if they told us what they have "fixed" in the upgrade
apart from the two meagre lines in the changelog.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I've asked Asus support, the reply (In French) is that "they have no
=20
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
UNIX/linux support for the moment, sorry for the inconvenient".
Do you havea any idea of what can be the cause of this problem ?
Unfortunately not - apart from ASUS's attitude :-(
One the reply there was a question:

How would you rate the quality of this mail?
Poor 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Outstanding

Guess the answer...
Jean-Luc
Joerg Rossdeutscher
2005-05-05 13:08:25 UTC
Am Mittwoch, den 04.05.2005, 15:41 +0000 schrieb Jean-Luc Coulon
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I've an ASUS A8V Deluxe with an ASUS A9250T/D video card.
I've just updated my BIOS from 1009 to 1011.
After this update, the machine boot fine and the display works in
cosole mode but while swtiching to X when gdm starts, I get a black
screen with only the cursor image in white.
The machine is still alive and I can access it via ssh. But I cannot
even swith to a console and try a "blind reboot" with <Alt><Ctrl><Fn>
and then log in. I cannot kill the X server with <Alt><Ctrl><Backspace>.
Me2.
Same board, but I use sid-32bit.

It seems to be a mess, but works: I use the "nvidia" module (lsmod), but
for X11 I use "nv" (XF86Config-4).

When I configure X11 to use "nvidia" instead of "nv", the machine
crashes like you described. "nv" is working.

Some weeks ago I tried Ubuntu unstable, but didn't use it anymore since
then. When this problem occured, I booted into Ubuntu just to see it
crashing like you described, even it was working before Bios-Update and
I didn't reconfigure anything. That means: X.org is hit by the problem
also, exactly like XFree. Maybe using nv instead of nvidia made you
believe Ubuntu would run? And up/downgrading the kernel may have broken
the nvidia module, so nv is used instead, so that made you believe the
kernel-up/downgrade fixed it?

I've to agree: Asus broke our machines.

Bye,
Ratti
--
-o) fontlinge | Fontmanagement for Linux | Schriftenverwaltung in Linux
/\\ http://freshmeat.net/projects/fontlinge/
_\_V http://www.gesindel.de https://sourceforge.net/projects/fontlinge/
nor
2005-05-05 15:01:37 UTC
I got the same problem some months ago with a radeon 9600, so I
installed the ubuntu x.org version.
This didn't solve my problem, so I remove all packages relative to XFree
and then I purge it. And then reinstall them.
After that the problem disappeared, I don't know what was the reason but
maybe it can help you.

Nor.
Ratti
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2005-05-05 16:08:14 UTC
Post by nor
I got the same problem some months ago with a radeon 9600, so I
installed the ubuntu x.org version.
This didn't solve my problem, so I remove all packages relative to
XFree and then I purge it. And then reinstall them.
After that the problem disappeared, I don't know what was the reason
but maybe it can help you.
I tried to remove and reinstall X and this didnt help.
But reverting to 1009 firmawre fixed the problem.

Jean-Luc
Joerg Rossdeutscher
2005-06-22 07:59:49 UTC
Hi,

I know, this thread is 6 weeks old, but... solved. Finally.
Post by Joerg Rossdeutscher
Am Mittwoch, den 04.05.2005, 15:41 +0000 schrieb Jean-Luc Coulon
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I've an ASUS A8V Deluxe with an ASUS A9250T/D video card.
I've just updated my BIOS from 1009 to 1011.
After this update, the machine boot fine and the display works in
cosole mode but while swtiching to X when gdm starts, I get a black
screen with only the cursor image in white.
Me2 with an K8V Deluxe.
Today a beta(!)-Bios was released that seems to fix the problem. I can
see my desktop again, and glxgears runs fine.

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_754/VIA_Chipset/K8T800/K8V_Deluxe/

1011d_02.zip

Bye,
Ratti
Lennart Sorensen
2005-05-06 13:34:43 UTC
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I've an ASUS A8V Deluxe with an ASUS A9250T/D video card.
I've just updated my BIOS from 1009 to 1011.
After this update, the machine boot fine and the display works in
cosole mode but while swtiching to X when gdm starts, I get a black
screen with only the cursor image in white.
Well running 1009 still on mine and it works perfectly, which of course
means I have no reason to consider upgrading the bios. Upgrading is for
fixing problems. If you don't have any, don't upgrade, sice the only
thing it can do is either nothing or break something. It can't be
better than all working after all.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
The machine is still alive and I can access it via ssh. But I cannot
even swith to a console and try a "blind reboot" with <Alt><Ctrl><Fn>
and then log in. I cannot kill the X server with <Alt><Ctrl><Backspace>.
If I boot the machine using Ubuntu live CD, it works.
If then I reboot (not power off the box) the system, then my normal
Debian system works.
Does ubuntu use vesa or something instead of the binary only driver
(which does agp drm stuff)?
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I've reverted to BIOS revison 1009 and this fix the problem.
I've asked Asus support, the reply (In French) is that "they have no
UNIX/linux support for the moment, sorry for the inconvenient".
Do you havea any idea of what can be the cause of this problem ?
I use the free Xfree86 driver "radeon".
The display is an IBM P200, 20" tested at various resolutions.
The monitor will not crash the machine. :) Well unless the DDC parser
is garbage and the data is bad.

If you have no problems with 1009, just keep using it.

Some years ago I had a bios upgrade (I used to think you should always
upgrade too) which made the adaptec 2940uw card just disappear (never
initialized) which of course made booting from the scsi hd a bit of a
problem. Fortunately I kept the old bios on a floppy so I could boot
the system from floppy (after disabling the scsi bios in the adaptec
setup since it actuall crashed the boot when enabled), after which I
could downgrade the bios, then reanable the scsi bios and the system was
back to normal. Now I only upgrade the bios when I have stuff not
working that is listed as fixed.

dvdwriter firmware on the other hand I do find uses in upgrading since
they keep adding support for newer media (and sometimes they up the
speed of the drive too like on the PX716A which went from 4x to 6x DL
support).

I guess you can send back a message to asus that the 1011 bios breaks
nvidia and ati accelerated X drivers while 1009 works. Maybe they can
consider what they may have broken. Who knows what else it might affect
in suttle ways.

Len Sorensen
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2005-05-06 14:45:02 UTC
Post by Lennart Sorensen
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I've an ASUS A8V Deluxe with an ASUS A9250T/D video card.
I've just updated my BIOS from 1009 to 1011.
After this update, the machine boot fine and the display works in
cosole mode but while swtiching to X when gdm starts, I get a black
screen with only the cursor image in white.
Well running 1009 still on mine and it works perfectly, which of course
means I have no reason to consider upgrading the bios. Upgrading is for
fixing problems. If you don't have any, don't upgrade, sice the only
thing it can do is either nothing or break something. It can't be
better than all working after all.
Yes, you are right, but this upgrade is for the support for the new ad
core (Venice). So this means we are stuck with the running processor.
Or maybe there will be an other fix later ...
Post by Lennart Sorensen
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
The machine is still alive and I can access it via ssh. But I cannot
even swith to a console and try a "blind reboot" with
<Alt><Ctrl><Fn>
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
and then log in. I cannot kill the X server with
<Alt><Ctrl><Backspace>.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
If I boot the machine using Ubuntu live CD, it works.
If then I reboot (not power off the box) the system, then my normal
Debian system works.
Does ubuntu use vesa or something instead of the binary only driver
(which does agp drm stuff)?
Ubuntu use xorg instead of xfree, the driver is "ati" (BTW, "ati"
doesnt work on my system both with 64 and 32 bit, I've to use "radeon").
Post by Lennart Sorensen
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I've reverted to BIOS revison 1009 and this fix the problem.
I've asked Asus support, the reply (In French) is that "they have no
UNIX/linux support for the moment, sorry for the inconvenient".
Do you havea any idea of what can be the cause of this problem ?
I use the free Xfree86 driver "radeon".
The display is an IBM P200, 20" tested at various resolutions.
The monitor will not crash the machine. :) Well unless the DDC parser
is garbage and the data is bad.
If you have no problems with 1009, just keep using it.
What I did. But this is not a long term solution. And the politic of
Asus is not acceptable. 1009 is not bug free. i.e. : try the auto
overclocking mode.. Other problem : if I left agp fastwrite to enabled,
I get a machine check.
Post by Lennart Sorensen
Some years ago I had a bios upgrade (I used to think you should always
upgrade too) which made the adaptec 2940uw card just disappear (never
initialized) which of course made booting from the scsi hd a bit of a
problem. Fortunately I kept the old bios on a floppy so I could boot
the system from floppy (after disabling the scsi bios in the adaptec
setup since it actuall crashed the boot when enabled), after which I
could downgrade the bios, then reanable the scsi bios and the system was
back to normal. Now I only upgrade the bios when I have stuff not
working that is listed as fixed.
The changelog for the ASUS BIOS doesnt represent the changes. Many
other things have been changed : the way the DDR is managed, some
options have beed added, other suppressed...
Post by Lennart Sorensen
dvdwriter firmware on the other hand I do find uses in upgrading since
they keep adding support for newer media (and sometimes they up the
speed of the drive too like on the PX716A which went from 4x to 6x DL
support).
I guess you can send back a message to asus that the 1011 bios breaks
nvidia and ati accelerated X drivers while 1009 works. Maybe they can
consider what they may have broken. Who knows what else it might affect
in suttle ways.
This is what I did and if you refer to my previous post they reply tehy
have no UNIX/linux support.

And I consider *this* is the worse in ths problem..
Post by Lennart Sorensen
Len Sorensen
Jean-Luc
Lennart Sorensen
2005-05-06 18:40:28 UTC
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Yes, you are right, but this upgrade is for the support for the new ad
core (Venice). So this means we are stuck with the running processor.
Or maybe there will be an other fix later ...
Try asking ATI. Maybe if ATI asks asus someone will work something out
since without sources (which ati has) you can't tell what is going wrong
in the driver really. I imagine it is some simple setting they got
wrong in the new bios. Or perhaps you have to set a new option
different than the default in the new bios.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Ubuntu use xorg instead of xfree, the driver is "ati" (BTW, "ati"
doesnt work on my system both with 64 and 32 bit, I've to use "radeon").
Is there a radeon driver on ubuntu? If so does it break too?
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
What I did. But this is not a long term solution. And the politic of
Asus is not acceptable. 1009 is not bug free. i.e. : try the auto
overclocking mode.. Other problem : if I left agp fastwrite to enabled,
I get a machine check.
Well it is certainly not a good move on their part. Linux users might
stop recomending Asus, which I know a lot have been, since they have
generally been very well built and very well supported.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
The changelog for the ASUS BIOS doesnt represent the changes. Many
other things have been changed : the way the DDR is managed, some
options have beed added, other suppressed...
I agree the changelogs are pathetic for their bios upgrades.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
This is what I did and if you refer to my previous post they reply tehy
have no UNIX/linux support.
And I consider *this* is the worse in ths problem..
It would be a shame if one of the best motherboard vendors end up going
down because of that kind of attitude.

Does it affect the ati windows drivers I wonder... :)

Unfortunately it probably doesn't.

Len Sorensen
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2005-05-06 19:47:02 UTC
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Yes, you are right, but this upgrade is for the support for the new
ad
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
core (Venice). So this means we are stuck with the running
processor.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Or maybe there will be an other fix later ...
Try asking ATI. Maybe if ATI asks asus someone will work something out
since without sources (which ati has) you can't tell what is going wrong
in the driver really. I imagine it is some simple setting they got
wrong in the new bios. Or perhaps you have to set a new option
different than the default in the new bios.
No, I've took care to set exactly the same options (as long as there
are available, but it was at least the case for the AGP stuff).

Maybe I've to try the fglrx drivers before asking ATI. I think it will
be the next step.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Ubuntu use xorg instead of xfree, the driver is "ati" (BTW, "ati"
doesnt work on my system both with 64 and 32 bit, I've to use
"radeon").
Is there a radeon driver on ubuntu? If so does it break too?
I cannot remember. I have used a live CD and the card is autodetected.
BTW, radeon is not an option when you install xfree86 in Debian, it is
ati. I've read somewhere that both are identical, but I've not the same
result with both of them.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
What I did. But this is not a long term solution. And the politic of
Asus is not acceptable. 1009 is not bug free. i.e. : try the auto
overclocking mode.. Other problem : if I left agp fastwrite to
enabled,
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I get a machine check.
Well it is certainly not a good move on their part. Linux users might
stop recomending Asus, which I know a lot have been, since they have
generally been very well built and very well supported.
And they cannot report the problem to the graphic card maker: I've an
ASUS too ;-)
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
The changelog for the ASUS BIOS doesnt represent the changes. Many
other things have been changed : the way the DDR is managed, some
options have beed added, other suppressed...
I agree the changelogs are pathetic for their bios upgrades.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
This is what I did and if you refer to my previous post they reply
tehy
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
have no UNIX/linux support.
And I consider *this* is the worse in ths problem..
It would be a shame if one of the best motherboard vendors end up going
down because of that kind of attitude.
Does it affect the ati windows drivers I wonder... :)
Unfortunately it probably doesn't.
I've no windows to test. Maybe it that would need a try.... just after
testing the fglrx.
J-L
Lennart Sorensen
2005-05-06 19:53:01 UTC
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
And they cannot report the problem to the graphic card maker: I've an
ASUS too ;-)
Excapt the chip on the card is an ATI and the driver is written by ATI
or against ATI specs.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I've no windows to test. Maybe it that would need a try.... just after
testing the fglrx.
After all if it breaks XP, they just might start to care what they
broke.

Len Sorensen
Joerg Rossdeutscher
2005-05-06 18:27:53 UTC
Hi,
Upgrading is for fixing problems.
I do not agree with you. That may have been that way in the 90s, when a
Bios was "a program that boots your OS". Nowadays technology is moving
very fast, and I want to use modern features like powermanagement,
Firewire, Instant-On, ... This machine is not a server, it's my
fun-at-home-computer. If the bios breaks - it's not a big deal.
Asus-bords can flash a new Bios at boot-time directly from a 3,5"-disk
without needing any OS or software, and they can fallback on an
emergency-Bios in case of problems. So I install any Bios-Upgrade
immediately.

When I boot into linux, some of the modules ouptput "unhappy" messages
about the hardware ("...implementation of blabla is broken, tell your
vendor to fix, get an update..."), and I think this is also meant
seriously by the authors.

Bye,
Ratti
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2005-05-06 18:43:18 UTC
Post by Joerg Rossdeutscher
Hi,
Upgrading is for fixing problems.
I do not agree with you. That may have been that way in the 90s, when a
Bios was "a program that boots your OS". Nowadays technology is moving
very fast, and I want to use modern features like powermanagement,
Firewire, Instant-On, ... This machine is not a server, it's my
fun-at-home-computer. If the bios breaks - it's not a big deal.
Asus-bords can flash a new Bios at boot-time directly from a 3,5"-disk
And even without a floppy : if you have the 18V.ROM file on a CD, you
can use EZ6Flash from the CD. Juste type <Alt>F2 and wait 3 seconds for
the timout finding the floppy (I've no floppy on this machine), it will
look then at the CD.
Jean-Luc
Joerg Rossdeutscher
2005-05-09 18:55:17 UTC
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 04.05.2005, 15:41 +0000 schrieb Jean-Luc Coulon
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
I've asked Asus support, the reply (In French) is that "they have no
UNIX/linux support for the moment, sorry for the inconvenient".
I've also contacted Asus.
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is ######## and I would be assisting you today
Sir, What's the motherboard do you have ? A8V deluxe ? K8V deluxe ? or
K8V ? do you have use other motherboard bios (eg , k8v deluxe) to
update A8V deluxe . Thanks a lot for your information . by the way ,
you don't use other motherboard bios to update this motherboard . Or
it will kill your bios chipset .
And if your bios chipset is corrupt ,the main boot block of bios is
damaged ,
so you can not re-flash it back because the system won't boot .
if you have a eeprom programmer you can use it to write bios chip
back ;
If you have another ASUS board( same type and same PCB version) ,you
can use "hot-swap" method to write bios back .
if above 2 ways are all impossible ,you need contact your mother board
dealer to send this faulty board to! repaired .
Best regards !
Crazy.

The problem is: Their bios breaks the nvidia drivers. And these guy
tells me something about broken eeproms and flashing the wrong bios.

Rated zero.

Bye,
Ratti
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2005-05-09 19:12:51 UTC
[...]
Yes really crazy.
Some guys do "hot swap" of EEPROM from one motherboard to an other one
when they have broken the BIOS in such a way they can't flash it back.

I've read some guys doing so from one motherbord to an other model. It
seeems to work but you ahve to keep the motherboard powered while doing
so and the EEPROM have to be the same model.

In your case, probably you got the answer for the question of an other
guy...
Post by Joerg Rossdeutscher
Rated zero.
Of course
Jean-Luc
Joerg Rossdeutscher
2005-05-09 20:30:38 UTC
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Post by Joerg Rossdeutscher
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
And if your bios chipset is corrupt ,the main boot block of bios is
damaged ,
Crazy.
The problem is: Their bios breaks the nvidia drivers. And these guy
tells me something about broken eeproms and flashing the wrong bios.
Yes really crazy.
In your case, probably you got the answer for the question of an other
guy...
No, he quoted my mail, I just didn't post that very long part into the
list. It just would make it even more ridiculous ("I have an Asus K8V
deluxe..." "What board do you have?")

Bye, Ratti
Lennart Sorensen
2005-05-09 20:33:37 UTC
Post by Joerg Rossdeutscher
No, he quoted my mail, I just didn't post that very long part into the
list. It just would make it even more ridiculous ("I have an Asus K8V
deluxe..." "What board do you have?")
if grep "Bios.*update.*problem" inputdata; then
send "Bios repair procedures FAQ";
fi

Did you actually think a person read it? :)

I wonder if the person dealing with the message knows the same language
as you.

Len Sorensen
Marko Kaiser
2005-05-10 10:32:28 UTC
Hi all,

I had this trouble too on my Asus A8V with Version 1011 BIOS. After I
upgraded the BIOS to 1012-xyz that problem disappeared. Even on Windows
2000 sporadic gfx problems occured with the 1011 BIOS!

Best regards,
Marko
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2005-05-10 11:46:26 UTC
Post by Marko Kaiser
Hi all,
I had this trouble too on my Asus A8V with Version 1011 BIOS. After I
upgraded the BIOS to 1012-xyz that problem disappeared. Even on
Windows 2000 sporadic gfx problems occured with the 1011 BIOS!
Just tried 1012.012, if I reboot just after the upgrade everything went
fine. If I power cycle the pachine, then I get a black screen when
entering X

So, back to 1009....
Post by Marko Kaiser
Best regards,
Marko
Regards

Jean-Luc
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2005-06-07 18:00:39 UTC
Hi,
Post by Marko Kaiser
Hi all,
I had this trouble too on my Asus A8V with Version 1011 BIOS. After
I upgraded the BIOS to 1012-xyz that problem disappeared. Even on
Windows 2000 sporadic gfx problems occured with the 1011 BIOS!
Just tried 1012.012, if I reboot just after the upgrade everything
went fine. If I power cycle the pachine, then I get a black screen
when entering X
So, back to 1009....
Just tried the brand new 1013.

And in the comments (we cannot call that changelog), there is "AGP
aperture problem fix"
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Post by Marko Kaiser
Best regards,
Marko
Regards
Jean-Luc
Lennart Sorensen
2005-06-07 18:24:09 UTC
Post by Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
Just tried the brand new 1013.
And in the comments (we cannot call that changelog), there is "AGP
aperture problem fix"
They admitted something. Yay!

Len Sorensen